Over 200 attend Oct. 8 noon Glenbard Parent Series Event Julie Lythcott-Haims “How to Raise an Adult!”
The Glenbard Parent Series was honored to host Julie Lythcott-Haims former dean of freshmen and undergraduate advising at Stanford University on a book tour for her first book How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success. She has written and spoken widely on the phenomenon of helicopter parenting and her work has appeared on TEDX talks, Forbes, the Chicago Tribune and others. She holds a BA from Stanford and a JD from Harvard Law. The author congratulated GPS on the breath and quality of its offerings. Here is what some participants shared after her presentation on Oct 8.
Diane Vallerugo, Stratford Middle School and Glenbard North Parent, shares her take away:
The speakers personal insights as a parent and experience as a college dean has her perfectly placed to bring this important message to our community-overparenting can lead to less confident and less competent kids. Our children need to experience failure to acquire resilience. Let your child advocate for themselves. Lets reclaim childhood. Stop the focus on brand name colleges Not every moment is a make or break moment. Do one thing each day to grow your child's independence.
Overheard in the discussions after:
- I need to stop hovering, back off and let my child experience some fairlures -so they can learn from their mistakes
- My overparenting can lead to less confidence and a lack of self-efficacy.
- We need to stop the focus on 5 schools in the country! Our children are not failures if they don't get in there! Check out the list of Colleges that Change Lives.
- Our overprotective culture need to charge-our kids feel we don't trust them to do it without us
- Stops saying "we" are going to college, "we" are on the team.
- Stop doing their homework!
- Think long term not short term
- As parents we need to think about putting ourselves out of a job
- As a parent -you can have a dream- but don't shape your child's dreams.
Matthew John Rodriguez Illinois PTA President
and author Julie Lythcott-Haims
Resources for Julie Lythcott-Haims and Raising an Adult: